Wednesday 22 February 2012

I was dreaming of sparkling red gowns...

Greetings! Fresh from watching 'You Can't Take It With You' with James Stewart, Lionel Barrymore and Jean Arthur, directed by Frank Capra, and feeling stupidly happy. I am going to buy a harmonica.

On that note, do any of you remember way back to the 8th February and the beginning of New York Fashion Week, debuting with the Heart Truth's Red Dress Fashion Show? (The Heart Truth Campaign has as goal to raise awareness of women’s heart health educational programs)
Well, whether you do or do not, or have never heard or come across this in your life, feast your eyes on Minka Kelly in this glittering Diane von Furstenberg Dress.
I had not realised it at the time, but this picture had fed a growing seed, at the time still subconscious. However, it has now come to the point that I am not simply randomnly daydreaming of sparkling red gowns... I am obsessing over perhaps eventually owning one.

So we all know what red symbolises. We know when looking at a tap that the red is hot. It is the colour most widely chosen by extroverts and can mean temper or anger. In China, on the other hand, red is the colour of happiness and prosperity, which is why brides wear red and doors are often painted red.  
Red is the color of blood, which in turn symbolises life and vitality. Oh, and red is also the colour of passion, love and lust.
There you go. Although I know it is impractical and well, there may be connotations, I am still going to state quite clearly "I want a floor-length sparkling red gown!"

After all, they look like they can be a lot of fun - as these fantastic videos prove:


Catherine Deneuve and Francoise Dorleac in 'Les Demoiselles de Rochefort' - an absolutely beautiful film, beautifully shot and not one to be missed. Watch it in English if you must, but it is better in French.
In terms of the dresses, this shows a different option. Without sleeves and thigh-high slit at the side... which could easily be adapted as a a three-inch-above-the-knee-high slit for practicality. :)

"Chantez la vie!
Chantez la pluie!
Chantez le soleil!
Chantez les villes et les champs!"
 
 

Of course, where would the world of sparkling red dresses be without the inimitable Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe? We're just two little girls from little rock... and although this film (Gentlemen prefer blondes) has a much more famous number in the form of Marilyn Monroe singing 'Diamond's are a girls best friend' (Which I love too!) for some reason it has always been this one that has tune which I hum obsessively for a couple of days everytime I see it.




And because I wanted to show even more variety, I included the wonderful Jessica Rabbit. Though this is the point when this dress is a cartoon and therefore serves to illustrate a point about the character and, in doing so, about sparkling red dresses. A point I will probably consider if ever I get the chance to buy a sparkly red gown... well, for a moment or two. My Brother might not be happy of course, but it takes a lot to keep him happy.

On a last note, it might - after all - be this wonderful photo of Graham Norton in a London Production of 'La Cage aux Folles' that really set me off. I think that is the most likely explanation.

....

(To clear up any possible misunderstandings, I do want to make sure that everyone knows that was a joke. I don't mean the fact that Graham Norton looks surprisingly at home in a sparkly red dress, but the fact it was my prime inspiration. In all honesty, it was probably fourth on the list of inspiration)



Well, thank you for reading and apologies for the minimal amount of writing accompanying this post. I need to go and I am too tired out to think of anything witty to say.

Comment and do follow if you like.



Ciao! 

4 comments:

Lisa {A Piece of Lisa} said...

That first red gown is amazing! And I love Graham Norton so can totally understand you were inspired :)

kakuidori said...

i love seing people in red gowns but as long as my hair was blue/green/teal-ish i never even thought about buying. but... now im blond o_O

really love how different the pics are that you always post!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh love color on that dress! :3 + Jessica Rabbit <3

dimitri said...

It's a very nice and interesting post as always.
I love your choices. Nice photos and great videos.