Saturday, 10 August 2013

Walk like a pink (not quite) Egyptian

 



A couple of months ago, I realised that my childhood home, my real enduring home where I found myself from my earliest years to the present, where I've been through joy and strife and every shade of emotion in between, was not the one I thought it was. To clarify: the first home I lived in, or rather I remember living in, was somewhere called Tixover Grange in the middle of nowhere in Rutland. It was a sprawling spider of a house with tentacles going off in random directions, hailing playrooms, conservatories and a mess of a dining room, study and garage. It was there I lived from the age of three for the next eight years of my life. In a narrow meaning of the term, for the whole of my childhood. Of course, being a very literary person, maybe I leant (and continue to lend) this more value than it's worth... in books, childhood homes seem to affect the person people become to such a great extent. For example, Jane Eyre spends her childhood in Gateshead Hall and Lowood School. If this dismal beginning could be enough to sanction the emergence of a bitter and even cruel character in any child, Jane disproves this. Instead, her beginnings taught her resilience, modesty and honesty, honour in the face of everything that is thrown at her. If this is perhaps more due to the people she encounters, the value of place can't be wholly ignored. Other examples from literature could include Pip in 'Great Expectations',  and Scarlet in 'Gone with the Wind'.

I am seventeen and, looking back now, I see that my childhood home is not wholly Tixover Grange with its nooks and crannies and apple trees that have never given fruit and that I must have climbed a thousand times. It is actually somewhere across the English channel in a village not far from Paris... once my grandparents' house, now my grandmother's, somewhere I have spent some of every Holiday since I was an squealing red gargoyle of a baby. I've jumped from the bathroom windows here, broken more things than I can remember, stained the sofa, spilled 'J'adore' Dior over a rug, grown into clothes and out of clothes, drawn on the walls and sat on the roof. I even have my own room of a very generous size that I shall soon paint Olive and Gold and cover with posters of Theda Bara and Musidora. If anywhere is my childhood home, this is. Maybe that's one of the reasons I love my French half as much as I do.

That was my supposedly deep thought for the day... onto what I'm wearing.


Pink and turquoise-y blue are not well-known as a good combination. It is a combination which has been known to cause a vicious and often irreversible overdose of sweet/cute/ostentation or it clashes dreadfully. Ignoring all that, I wore pink (three different shades of it - Oh, the horror!) and turquoise together today. Well, it wasn't exactly a crime against good taste. Personally, I thought it rather worked, especially with the whole Egyptian vibe I sort of had bubbling under the surface. If you disagree, you can ruddy well beat it express your opinion honestly and I will make a voodoo doll of the perpetrator and stab it with pins acknowledge that we all have the right to pull a face when we see three different shades of pink.

What exactly am I wearing?

A)Top depicting pictures of birds and cherry blossom - Oasis.

B)Colour Block Pink Maxi-skirt - Ted Baker.

C)Necklace Collar thing - Noa Noa.

D)Two bangles, one dark blue, one turquoise.

E) No Shoes... on which note:

Taking the hypothetical situation that money was no issue, which pair of shoes from the selection shown below would you suggest to go with this outfit? Tempted by blue or pink? Or a lil' bit o' gold? Kirkwood or Louboutin?

Or something completely different? Feel free to mention other footwear ideas.













1) Believing Red Shoes from Melissa


 

2) Christian Louboutin Colour-block Sandals

 

 3) Nicholas Kirkwood Print Platform Pumps


 

4) Vivienne Westwood Anglomania + Melissa Lady Dragon IX


I'm not unhappy. My face just naturally looks slightly cross/miserable.  Honest guv'nor!

5) Miu Miu Metallic Leather & Suede Peep-Toe Ankle Boots


 
Thank you for reading, or scanning if you prefer. Not to sound completely void of pride, but please follow and do comment. *Smiles maliciously*
 
My next post is going to be a retrospective of perfume bottles: namely Jean Paul Gaultier - Classique. You might be surprised by exactly how many different designs there have been.

28 comments:

Pip said...

This is an interesting look! That skirt is really pretty and I love the turquoise overlay thing! Great style! xx Pip

Easy Outfits by Pip

PLEASE JOIN MY AHAI SHOPPING GIVEAWAY FOR A CHANCE TO WIN $30 WORTH OF FREE CLOTHING!

Angel Feliciano said...

oh wow this is such a unique look! I love the turquoise collar <3 and the vivienne westwood melissa's are just so gorgeous!

http://www.pinkoolaid.com/

Helen Blas said...

I like your outfit! :D It fits your vibrant personality quite well!

Love,
Helen
http://luckycitrine.blogspot.com

Fashion babel said...

OH, I just love this outfit. Reminds me of that sixties ice cream van!:)

PS I'm following you now, so feel free to follow back!

xo, L.

fashionlikealife said...

Great look :)

follow?
fashionlikealife.blogspot.com

LEJA said...

Thank you for the comment. Want to follow each other? I am now following you via GFC. Follow back?

http://justabriefmoment.blogspot.com/

Brooklyn Grace said...

very nice post dear!!
i love your dress
kisses

Miss Maple said...

Lovely shoes and an interesting composition of your outfit!

Melanie said...

I like this outfit. Shoe-wise? I think a flat high-fitting black leather gladiator sandal would be very lovely because I like your Egypt vibe and the bare feet. Overcoming(?) origins with grace...must think on it.

MICHELLE E YASMIN F. BARBOSA said...

ola amei teu site.... convido a você para visitar o meu blog e o blog da minha filha yasmin f. e se gostar convidamos vc a seguir-no e retornaremos e também te seguiremos....um super beijo da Michelle e yasmin f. barbosa...

http://unhasdecormichelleyasmin.blogspot.com.br/ e siga também http://madvitrinededesejos.blogspot.com.br/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello loved your site .... I invite you to visit my blog and the blog of my daughter yasmin f. and if you like invite u to follow it and will return and they will follow .... a super kiss Michelle and yasmin f. barbosa ...

http://unhasdecormichelleyasmin.blogspot.com.br/ and also follow http://madvitrinededesejos.blogspot.com.br/

Val Sparkle said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog because I was able to follow the breadcrumbs back to your place. Are we in France now? Border control is not very alert, are they.

I love that top especially, and the whole outfit! The blue collar adds such a luxe feel. I think the top looks best untucked, and I'd love to see it with the Louboutain shoes. Or something unexpected, like boots.

I looked through your last post, too - Beyonce cut her hair?!?

minnja said...

Great blog. Would you like to follow each ohter? - it would be fantastic;)

Love
Minnja

Minnja Blog
Minnja on Facebook

dimitri said...

C'est une très jolie tenue et j'aime beaucoup ces différentes associations. Les couleurs ont beaucoup de poésie.

Natalia | Fashioned by Love said...

Makes a change to see an outfit that comes with a story. x

Alona said...

I adore your style (and your blog) so much!! Followed :) x

exality said...

so cool! http://exality.blogspot.com/

Geraldine Chua said...

Great writing! There's something very literary about the way you string words...love it, as I love that top you've got on :)

x Gi
alibimag.blogspot.com

Lynn Dylan said...

I love the outfit. The skirt is amazing. I need to cut back on the cookies and work on my waist to get back into that sort of skirt! LOL. As far as shoes, I like Melanie's suggestion of a gladiator!

XOXO
Lynn Dylan

clemence said...

wooow I don't know what I like best the top or the skirt... u look amazing
xoxo

wavystyle said...

hey,
thank you for your comment. I think so, too. :)

I really like your style.
This Outfit is incredible!

xo,

Alina
wavystyle.blogspot.de

The Foreigner Girl said...

That maxi skirt is simply perfect, I tried at Ted Baker store in London, but unfortunatly Im too short! :(
Btw great combo!
keep it up!

Follow if you like:
www.theforeignergirl.blogspot.com.es

Prettytendency said...

El top es muy original, y el look muy elegante, un saludo y gracias.

Viktoria said...

very nice!

please follow me if you like!
thedaydreamings.blogspot.com

Marcela Gmd said...

Nice outfit!!! I love the shoes!!!
Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

Lindsey Louise Bales said...

your skirt is so lovely!

lindsey louise

hellomrrabbitblog.com

Coco Colo said...

I love this outfit!!
It really suits you :)

http://coco-colo.blogspot.de/

WendyB said...

Love this bold look!

MrJeffery said...

wow. blown away by this ensemble!